Kumeu Film Studios – large studio site with stages, dive and surface tanks
Kumeu Film Studios (KFS) is a world class facility in the western filming heartland of Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland.
Developed by filmmakers for filmmakers, the studio complex was first used by Warner Bros. Pictures and Gravity Pictures for the shark attack blockbuster The Meg, followed by Disney’s Mulan, and more recently for Amazon Studios’ The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.
Features of Kumeu Film Studios:
- 67-acre site located 30 minutes from central Auckland and 40 minutes from Auckland International Airport
- Two purpose-built sound stages totalling 4673sqm (50,300sqft) floorspace and a 14m (45ft) grid
- A warehouse stage of 4037sqm (43,448sqft) footprint and 9-11m (30-36ft) in height
- Additional workshops: 6160 sqm (66,306 sqft)
- Production offices area: 1690sqm (18,194sqft) with high-speed fibre connection and Wi-Fi fit out
- Two water tanks – the largest in New Zealand: Underwater dive tank (1.26million litres) and ocean surface tank (2.5million litres) with a surrounding 54x40m green wall
- U-shaped outdoor green wall: 51x41m
- 12ha (30-acre) forest backlot
Auckland Film Studios – established home of film production and one of New Zealand’s newest purpose-built sound stages
A mainstay of the Auckland screen production scene for 25 years, Auckland Film Studios has hosted dozens of international television series, commercials and feature film productions.
Located in the suburb of Henderson, 30 minutes from Auckland International Airport and 20 minutes from the central city, AFS offers considerable production facilities to support world-leading film crews, post, digital and visual effects while being close to screen businesses, motorway access and west Auckland’s sought-after spots.
Alongside purpose-built stages, its support buildings and canopied areas provide turn-key spaces for offices, art department, casting, catering, construction, greens, props, sound, stunts, unit and more. It’s been the base for many iconic New Zealand and international productions such as Xena: Warrior Princess, Whale Rider, The Shannara Chronicles, Mr Pip, The Chronicles of Narnia, and more recently for Amazon Studios’ The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.
Recent major investment has funded two new 2000 sqm (21,528 sqft) sound stages in addition to improvements which allow the studio to be configured for a large-scale production or allow two or more smaller productions to operate simultaneously.
Features of Auckland Film Studios:
- Five studios: two 2000sqm (21,528 sqft) new purpose-built stages, one 1924sqm (21,000sqft) purpose-built stage, an 868sqm (9343sqft) warehouse stage, and a 784sqm (8,439sqft) warehouse stage
- Five furnished office blocks totalling 1745 sqm/18,783 sqft
- 5,100sqm (55,000 sqft) of multi-purpose buildings providing flexible workshop and mill space, including paint shops, spray booths, fabrications rooms, mould making shop, steel fabrication, timber mill, plaster shop and plentiful storage
- Perimeter fencing with controlled entry and security
- Numerous independent suppliers operate near the site
For full information go to www.aucklandfilmstudios.com
Studio West - Close to locations, suppliers and crew
Nestled in the west Auckland hills of Glen Eden, Studio West is a full-service studio complex that has hosted many leading international and domestic TV and film productions and remains in high demand.
Situated on 8 acres (3 ¼ hectares), its facilities include four sound stages, production and location offices, art department with offices and prop storage, wardrobe/costume and laundry, make up, greenroom, workshops for construction, paint and prop-making. The newly opened 3400sqm (36,600sqft) sound stage is Auckland’s largest purpose-built stage, alongside a two-storey 1500sqm (16,100sqft) office block.
Studio West provides a fantastic base for productions wanting to be close to stunning locations, including the beautiful Waitakere Ranges and famed black sand beaches. The Wilds, Yogi Bear, Avalon High, Guns Akimbo and many seasons of Power Rangers were all filmed here.
Features of Studio West:
- Four stages: 312sqm (3358sqft), 525sqm (5651sqft) 700sqm (7535sqft), and new 3400sqm (36,750sqft) stage
- Workshops and office spaces for production, work and paint, carpentry, costume and art departments, and prop storage
- Post-production facilities
- Studio West has resource consent for another 2500sqm new sound stage and 1000sqm workshop
X3 Studios - A 'mega stage' and much more
Situated only 30 minutes’ drive south of Auckland’s city centre, X3 Studios is the most flexible turn-key studio in New Zealand and was specifically designed for large scale ‘build the world’ productions. The studio complex comprises more than 11,725sqm (126,2000 sqft) of clear span high-stud studio and flexible production space offering multiple configurations of up to four studios, including the X3 Mega Stage.
X3 Studios is located on a secure, 2.4 hectare (5.93 acre) site with easy access to coastal, forest and rural scenic wilderness. Since opening in 2020, the studio has been in constant demand due to its world class facilities.
Features of X3 Studios include:
- Over 11,725sqm (126,200 sq/ft) of clear span high stud studios and flexible mill / production space
- Capable of multiple configurations to suit individual productions
- Standard configuration has four stages, each approximately 2900sqm (31,200sqft, 42m x 70m x 12.2m at apex). Designed to be flexible, stages can be quickly reconfigured using the de-mountable, acoustically treated concrete partition wall system
- Option to combine stages A and B for the largest clear-span stage in New Zealand
- Up to 2900sqm (31,215 sqft) of flexible multipurpose space for office, work rooms, mill, stage, workshop and storage
- Full site security fence with automated vehicle and personnel gates
- More than 5000sqm (53,819 sqft) of yard and parking, over half of which is covered, with access either side of property
South Pacific Pictures – A turn-key studio solution
Based in Auckland’s screen heartland of Henderson, South Pacific Pictures has been used as a base for hundreds of hours of television production for;The Dead Lands, Shortland Street, Westside and The Almighty Johnsons to name a few.
The studio is close to Henderson’s business district, along with a huge number of shooting locations and easy access to the rest of Auckland.
Features of South Pacific Pictures:
- Studio 1 - 700m2 (7535ft2), Studio 2 - 500m2 (5382ft2)
- Winstone Studio x 1092m2 (11754ft2)
- Three production/post-production office spaces
- Photo cyc/studio available for hire
- Spaces are available for hire separately or combined
Flying Fish - Studio 230
Flying Fish is Auckland's most convenient studio location for film and television productions, advertising stills and photography shoots.
Located less than five minutes from the city centre, the Fish building stands out in an area popular for its cafes, restaurants and fashion boutiques.
Features of Flying Fish:
- One 16m x 11m x 6m studio
- Three-walled white cyclorama
- Sound stage
- Separate makeup/green room and a built-in lighting rig
- Dock way that provides easy access for lighting and film trucks and drive-on sets
- A full rail for curtains
- Black and green or blue screens can be rented on request
- Self-contained kitchenette and bathroom facilities
- Hireage includes power, wireless internet and car parking
- Three-phase power (two x 63 amp), and single-phase power (two x 20 amp)
Century Film Studios
Situated on the North Shore of Auckland in Rosedale, Century Film Studios is just 20 minutes from Auckland’s central city.
With a custom-built studio, Century Film Studios is proud to offer a style of shooting space that uses every room in the building, and suits production companies, photographers, agencies and clients.
Features of Century Film Studios:
- 12m x 11m white infinity cyclorama shooting space, with a fully certified grid at 5.5m high
- Full rail curtain blackout option and a 18m x 5.5m seamless digital green screen, the floor can also be prepped to be entirely green
- 5m wide by 7m high access roller door for lighting and film trucks or a drive on set, with a 3 phase 63 amp power point
- Studio is soundproofed
- Separate make up and wardrobe rooms
- Lounge style green room and outdoor area
- Modular food prep/kitchen area for all types of food production or product shots
The Green Screen
In the heart of western Auckland’s screen and creative precinct, The Green Screen is a new bespoke facility provides a state-of-the-art turn-key studio.
Features of the Green Screen:
- Auckland's largest permanent Green Screen (10.7 x 11.6 x 5.6 high double cyced corner, with 6.5m x 7.6m floor and a 2.5m floor run)
- Load-rated, pre-set full lighting rig controlled via Aputure Sidus Link
- Fully air conditioned
- Stunt rigging, 3 phase power, full vehicle access
- Floor to ceiling 360 wrap around black drapes
- Dedicated green room, wardrobe and makeup facilities
For more information visit: Thegreenscreen.co.nz
Kingsize Studios was founded in 1998 and over the years has assisted with numerous stills, film, video, and event productions.
Features of Kingsize Studios:
- Studio 1: large drive-in space with a 7m wide cyclorama, kitchen with Espresso machine, green room, make up and changing room, plus additional studio space at the rear for multiple shoots at one time. Green screen option available
- Studio 3: medium general-purpose space with skylight and blackout cover, full kitchen, ideal for still life, food, look books, castings and more
- Studio 4: smaller daylight space with skylight and black out cover, perfect for fashion, portraits, and still life
- Garden Studio: a purpose-built outdoor daylight space, with anchors to tie a diffusion fabric overhead
With a comprehensive on-site gear hire department, there is support for your shoot with the largest stills/small cine camera inventory in New Zealand, for use in the studio or on location.
NEP NZ Studios
Based in central Auckland, NEP’s studio is regularly used for live and as-live television programmes such as 7 Days, Pio Terei Tonight and Funny Whare.
Features of NEP Studios:
- Studio 4 is a purpose–built 215m² flagship space, versatile enough to host a variety of productions
- Has a technical grid, sound insulation and concrete floor
- Air conditioning
- Self-contained control room
- Frequently used for TV programmes with a small audience. Tiered seating is available
- The modern, comfortable green room is equipped with a 3-position make up area
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Guest Wi-Fi
Located in Henderson, Whoa! Studios is a boutique film facility that includes a state-of-the-art studio with theatre facilities which are regularly used for family entertainment. The studio and theatre are available for hire separately and clients can take advantage of onsite catering from The Grounds restaurant.
Features of Whoa! Studios:
- Studio 1 – 400m2 with lighting rig
- Fully air conditioned
- Green screen wall, blue screen curtain and blackout curtains provided
- Equipment available for hire includes Modula motion control system, lighting, 6k Red Dragon camera, scissor lift and forklift
- Greenroom with makeup stations
- Kitchen facilities